[R-sig-Debian] Package selectr: issue with the apt-get version, but not with the one installed from R?

Matthieu S matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 19:54:38 CET 2017

Hi

I am facing an issue with the package selectr, where I get an error trying
to run an example code: css_to_xpath(".testclass"), gives could not find
function "xpath_class"

The issue arises however only with the package installed with apt-get, not
when installed from within R. I got a similar issue with maptools, where I
was not able to use data(wrld_map), and switching to the version "from
within R" version did solve the issue in the same way.

Note that I posted the issue some time ago on stack-overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40874011/r-rvest-could-not-find-function-xpath-element/42960170#42960170
but now that I pinned the issue down to the apt-get versus R, I hope I can
ask on this list?  For the apt-get, I have cran sources added, as well as
Michael's ppa http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/rrutter/ubuntu and
http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/c2d4u/ubuntu

Here is a sample code showing my issue:

> pkg <- installed.packages()
> subset(as.data.frame(pkg), Package=="selectr", c("Package", "LibPath"))
          Package                                         LibPath
selectr   selectr /home/matifou/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.3
selectr.1 selectr                         /usr/lib/R/site-library
> library(selectr,
lib.loc="/home/matifou/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.3")
[1] "descendant-or-self::*[@class and contains(concat(' ',
normalize-space(@class), ' '), ' testclass ')]"
> detach("package:selectr", unload=TRUE)
> library(selectr, lib.loc="/usr/lib/R/site-library")
> css_to_xpath(".testclass")
Error in do.call(method, list(parsed_selector)) :
  could not find function "xpath_class"

Thanks!!

Matthieu