[R-sig-Debian] /etc/R/Renviron doesn't set R_LIBS_USER anymore

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jul 2 22:01:48 CEST 2017

On 2 July 2017 at 21:39, Kirill Müller wrote:
| Hi
|
| An upgrade to R 3.4.1 on Ubuntu removed the default setting of
| R_LIBS_USER in /etc/R/Renviron. What's the rationale behind this? Thanks.

Pretty much exactly what I told you in person last week :)

- idea is to prefer /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/
- multi-user more important than per-user

Also see https://bugs.debian.org/866768

The transition may be too harsh though. I did not consider the possibility of
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/ *not* being writeable.  So what I could do is
to re-add the per-user directory as a fall-back after the preferred
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org