[R-sig-Debian] Taking determinant of a matrix of NAs results in intermittent memory corruption

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 19 04:41:42 CET 2017

On 19 January 2017 at 02:49, Klint Gore wrote:
> [...]

Well but aren't you confusing or conflating two things here? I am only
harping on this as it is r-sig-debian. "Supported" by Canonical means that
should a security bug require an update to a component of your installation,
you may get it from their repo. No more, no less.

Otherwise, the focus is on _stability_ -- hence no changes whatsoever. [1]

Which in turn means old, known bugs like the one we are talking about here
will NOT get fixed.  It is a trade-off: some people value the stability, some
people value the fixes and new features.

| Also, I'm just confirming that I can repeat it.  It's not an issue for me as it's never happened other than the contrived example.  If someone brought it to my attention, I'd probably follow your original though and ask them if they really wanted the determinant of an unassigned matrix as it sounds like not a useful thing to do.  Using rnorm to initialise the matrix works fine.
|
| I'd suggest the OP pursue it with the linux mint people as it's directly affecting him and it occurs in their "supported" version.

Agreed.

Dirk

[1] Eg the R version in 14.04 is forever fixed at version 3.0.2 as far as the
'official Ubuntu repository' is concerned.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org