[R-sig-Debian] R-3.4.0 and recommended packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 27 20:16:11 CEST 2017

On 27 April 2017 at 23:41, Charles Plessy wrote:
| Le Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 07:24:18AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | I do not understand how the use of r-api-x works, but my feeling is that it
| > | will not allow to differentiate between packages using .C and .Fortan and the
| > | rest.
| >
| > Right. And therefore cast too wide a net.
| >
| > | I am surprised that I did not see a related bug report in the Debian BTS yet,
| > | did I overlook something? I only looked for r-base.
| >
| > They may not know yet. I should write to debian-devel.
| >
| > Any debian-med or debian-science readers here?
|
| Yes I am here :)

:)

| I spotted the breakage caused by R 3.4.0 when seeing regression tests
| failing on ci.debian.net.  But I did not report them yet as I am still
| busy with the breakage caused by R 3.3.3 (mostly on Bioconductor packages).
| In the case of R 3.3.3 it was a bit tedious to identify which packages were
| to rebuild because some test failures were only indirect consequences, and
| a pacakge responsible for the failures had its own tests passing because
| their coverage was shallow... Hence for 3.4.0 I would say that in doubt,
| let's rebuild everything.

Could you fill me in about what broke with BioC and what caused it?

I am not (yet?) on board with recommending a point-blank rebuild of all.

| If r-base starts to provide r-api-4 instead of r-api-3 then it will not be
| co-installable with the r-cran/bioc/other-* packages until they have been
| rebuilt.
|
|  - The benefit is that it will prevent people doing partial upgrades
|    from Stable, that would break their packages.

I am not sure I understand why people would want to do partial upgrades.
Debian stable is support. Debian testing is supported.  Hybrid mixes of the
two are risque.

|  - The drawback is the extra work of rebuilding the packages that do not
|    use .C and .Fortran.
|
| Within the Debian infrastructure, the architecture-dependant packages can be
| easily rebuilt by binNMUs.  The architecture-independant packages are easier to
| rebuild than before, because it is now possible to do source-only uploads.
| Also, it may be worth asking on debian-devel if binNMUs of arch-independant
| packages will become possible (since we now have autobuilders that can handle
| them).

It sure would help.

| For the Debian packages provided on CRAN, I am not familiar on build is
| trigger, so I can not comment on the ease of rebuilding.

I think that is a different topic for which we may want a different
discussion.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org