[R-sig-Debian] difficulty in Ubuntu 14.04 apt-getting R 3.3.2

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 19 17:57:00 CEST 2017

On 19 April 2017 at 09:38, Jennifer Lyon wrote:
| Hi:
|
| I have a Dockerfile, which builds an image which installed R 3.3.2 in
| Ubuntu 14.04, but building using that Dockerfile seems to have stopped
| working and I am unclear why.
|
| I believe the relevant error is:
|
| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| or been moved out of Incoming.
| The following information may help to resolve the situation:
|
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|  r-recommended : Depends: r-cran-cluster (>= 1.9.6-2) but it is not going
| to be installed
|                  Depends: r-cran-rpart (>= 3.1.20) but it is not going to
| be installed
|                  Depends: r-cran-survival (>= 2.13.2-1) but it is not going
| to be installed
|
| Any help in resolving this would be appreciated.
|
| Additional information: while I need R 3.3.2 for historical purposes, when
| I substitute 3.3.2 with 3.3.3 in the Dockerfile, the image builds
| successfully.
|
| Thanks!
|
| Jen
|
| Dockerfile:
|
| FROM ubuntu:14.04
|
| RUN apt-get update && \
|    DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive" apt-get install -y
| --no-install-recommends software-properties-common && \
|     apt-add-repository "deb http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu
| trusty/" && \
|     apt-get update && \
|     DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive" apt-get install -y --force-yes
| --no-install-recommends libcurl3-gnutls libcurl4-gnutls-dev libssl-dev
| libssh2-1-dev r-base=3.3.2-1trusty0 r-base-dev=3.3.2-1trusty0
| r-recommended=3.3.2-1trusty0 r-base-core=3.3.2-1trusty0

You are pointing to the normal repo.  AFAIK it only keeps _current_ versions
and one cannot, as you do here, request arbitrary older versions.

But take a look at Carl's 'versioned' Rocker containers which may offer you
want you're after.

  GitHub:  https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker-versioned
  Docker:  https://hub.docker.com/r/rocker/r-ver/

Dirk