[R-sig-Debian] [FORGED] Re: Problem installing rgdal on a laptop running Ubuntu 16.04.1

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 5 02:28:03 CEST 2016

On 05/10/16 12:39, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 5 October 2016 at 12:16, Rolf Turner wrote:
> |
> | On 05/10/16 12:07, Michael Rutter wrote:
> |
> | > Typo on my part.  Try r-cran-rgdal.
> |
> | Thanks. OK, I have now done
> |
> |      sudo apt-get install r-cran-rgdal
> |
> | successfully.
>
> Very good.
>
> Now do
>
>    IP <- installed.packages()
>
> and convince yourself that you have rgdal. You could even do
>
>    library(rgdal)
>
> | But sad to say, it didn't help a bit.  When I try
> |
> |      install.packages("rgdal",lib="/home/rolf/Rlib")
> |
> | I get exactly the same error as before.  I.e.
> |
> |      > undefined symbol: CPLQuietErrorHandler
>
> Computers have that silly habit of being deterministic. _Installing from
> source another time_ does not change the fact that you did not have your
> ducks in a row in the first place.  We did not change that; Michael merely
> pointed you to a different pond with different ducks, ready to roast.

Dirk, this is not helpful.  How the <expletive deleted> do I get my
ducks in a row?

Explicitly, I guess, how do I get the symbol "CPLQuietErrorHandler" defined?

I looked at the src directory for rgdal; the only filed that referred to
"CPLQuietErrorHandler" was gdal_bindings.cpp.

I noticed that it had a #include <cpl_error.h> in it.

I found a header file cpl_error.h in /usr/include/gdal.  It includes the
line:

> void CPL_DLL CPL_STDCALL CPLQuietErrorHandler( CPLErr, int, const char * );

Doesn't this define "CPLQuietErrorHandler"?

What in God's name do I need to do to get this <expletive deleted>
package working?

cheers,

Rolf

--