[R-sig-Debian] Fwd: Re: r-base installation fails on Ubuntu 14.04

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 23 21:50:10 CET 2016

He was suggesting to upgrade to 15.10 if you needed the newer fortran
for some reason (or other newer things only in backports or not even there).

I also mostly run LTS versions of Ubuntu, especially in my research
group where I manage our cloud/servers. Which also matches the computer
cluster available to me. That said I also stick to the stock packages
for all the basic underlying libraries like fortran. If for some reason
I need super new stuff to run a specific tool/analysis that's when I
spin up a custom VM/Docker to create such an environment.

In this case I can understand, 14.04 came from the hardware vendor, so
it makes sense to stick with that for now given the support from the
company for drivers (hopefully they will also support 16.04). In which
case, yes roll back your backported fortran to use the version Ubuntu
originally supplied.

Thanks,
Alex