[R-sig-Debian] Dependency failures on installing older R packages in Ubuntu

Alexey Zaharov alexey.a.zaharov at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 14:56:56 CET 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:58:20 +0000, Jordan Dawe wrote:

>>apt is telling you that is has 3.2.3. Why don't you not use it?
>>
>>We are volunteers. We do promise that you can install ANY combinations
>>of ALL packages at ANY time.  We work hard to give you the current
>>packages, reliably.
>>
>>Dirk
>
> We are operating an R server in a business production environment, and
> thus we wish to maintain package stability.  I understand you are
> volunteers, and thank you for your efforts.  Since the previous versions
> of these packages are available on your repository, I mistakenly thought
> you intended there to be backward compatibility.
>
> Thank-you for your prompt response.
>
> Jordan
>>

> This email and any information disclosed in connection herewith, whether
> written or oral, is the property of EnerNOC, Inc. and is intended only
> for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
> This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
> otherwise protected from disclosure.
> Distributing or copying any information contained in this email to
> anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

You can install R of the given version by installing only `r-base-
core=3.1.3-1precise2`.

Example:

#---------------------------------------------------------
$ sudo aptitude versions ^r-base-core$
i   2.14.1-1                                                      precise
p   3.1.3-1precise2                                               precise
p   3.2.3-4precise0                                               precise

$ sudo aptitude install r-base-core=3.1.3-1precise2

It will be sufficient to have R working. All further packages can be then
complied separately.

--
Regards. Alexey.