[R-sig-Debian] Installing TMAP in R Studio on Linux Mint

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 31 21:04:20 CEST 2015

On 31 May 2015 at 21:33, Abed W. Ayyad wrote:
| Dear Dirk et al,
|
| What I've tried is to install libgeos-dev:
| sudo apt-get install libgeos-dev
|
| Which gives me, even after adding the ubuntugis-unstable PPA:
| E: Unable to locate package libgeos-dev
|
| So I'm a little stuck at the moment. I'm trying to install TMAP on R-Studio,
| which requires a number of packages all of which rely on the libgeos-dev being
| in place, and I can't seem to find it.

If Mint really does not have it, you could download the sources for the
package and create a local "backport" of it to your system.  There are some
tutorial out there on how to build a Debian package -- at least you don;t
have to build it from scratch.

You may have to recursively build other build-dependencies too. And as I
said, Debian and Ubuntu seem to have it pre-build...

Dirk

| Many thanks again and in advance,
|
| Abed
|
| On 31 May 2015 at 16:20, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

|     On 31 May 2015 at 09:48, Abed W. Ayyad wrote:
|     | Copied and sent from another address:
|     |
|     |
|     | On 31 May 2015 at 09:43, Abed W. Ayyad <imraualkays at gmail.com> wrote:
|     |
|     | > To the R-Sig-Debian list:
|     | >
|     | > Hello, this is my first post to the list and I hope that making it
|     short
|     | > and swift does not make it come across as abrupt or rude.
|     | >
|     | > I'm having trouble installing the TMAP package on R-Studio on my build
|     of
|     | > Linux Mint. I was able to narrow this down to the lack of the
|     libgeos-dev
|     | > library, which I tried to install via the terminal, but I constantly
|     get
|     | > the "unable to locate package" error. I've also changed/added
|     repositories
|     | > several times over the past week or so.
|
|     Exactly what did you try?
|
|     My system has libgeos-dev.  At the prompt:
|
|     edd at max:~$ apt-cache show libgeos-dev
|     Package: libgeos-dev
|     pkg-grass-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
|     Architecture: amd64
|     Source: geos
|     Version: 3.4.2-6build1
|     Depends: libgeos-c1 (= 3.4.2-6build1)
|     Suggests: libgdal-doc
|     Filename: pool/universe/g/geos/libgeos-dev_3.4.2-6build1_amd64.deb
|     Size: 60386
|     MD5sum: de32c018df4d9e4bad8e52e7fc8cd610
|     SHA1: 2a0bfb9b45dfac27f5dd50afc826619e1b3b9f87
|     SHA256: 998ce25887b62c1ad9ea0829e0306295df6f380bc83a8f5e136246bc46631c45
|     Description-en: Geometry engine for GIS - Development files
|      GEOS provides a spatial object model and fundamental geometric
|      functions. It implements the geometry model defined in the
|      OpenGIS Consortium Simple Features Specification for SQL.
|      .
|      This package contains the headers and libraries needed to
|      develop programs using GEOS.
|     Description-md5: 3f1f0c4d5fc2ab9465b9947eec04cda4
|     Homepage: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/
|     Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
|     Origin: Ubuntu
|
|     edd at max:~$ apt-cache policy libgeos-dev
|     libgeos-dev:
|       Installed: 3.4.2-6build1
|       Candidate: 3.4.2-6build1
|       Version table:
|      *** 3.4.2-6build1 0
|             500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/universe amd64 Packages
|             100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
|     edd at max:~$
|
|     This shows that if I did
|
|          sudo apt-get install libgeos-dev
|
|     it would istall version 3.4.2-6build1 from the main ubuntu archive.
|
|     | > Is there anything that can be done for this problem? Has the
|     libgeos-dev
|     | > library been taken off of the repositories?
|
|     I do not know what Mint does but I doubt it.
|
|     Dirk
|
|     | > Best regards,
|     | >
|     | > Abed Ayyad
|     | >
|     | > --
|     | > For very rudimentary descriptive statistics on Doha:
> [...]
|     |
|     |
|     |
|     | --
|     | For very rudimentary descriptive statistics on Doha:
|     | http://notesfromdoha.blogspot.com/
|     |
|     |       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
|     |