[R-sig-Debian] Debian Testing: ~/.Renviron seems to not being read (R_LIBS not set)

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Tue Mar 31 08:05:57 CEST 2015

Dear Marius,

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I am not very happy that you provide
instructions to install R 3.1.3 from sources when binaries are already
provided on CRAN. The installation instructions you share bring more work and
a more non-standard setup, unless you want two different copies of R. But your
instructions do not cover that case!

>From my point of view it could be interesting if it were modified for keeping
an up to date copy of R-devel in addition to the released version, but in the
way you are giving it here I think it may lead people to be distracted from
the easy and clean way to do it. I say clean, because when you use the .deb
packages it is much easier to remove or revert what you have done.

So maybe you could modify your instructions to the case where someone wants to
have R-devel in addition to the released R version, if that is what you are
aiming at? I could then add it to the README for Debian on CRAN.

And then, regarding your comment on the keyserver listed in the README, what's
wrong with keys.gnupg.net? I just tested it (again) and it worked fine.

Kind regards,

Johannes

PD Dr. Johannes Ranke
Kronacher Str. 8