[R-sig-Debian] Debian Testing: ~/.Renviron seems to not being read (R_LIBS not set)

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Mon Mar 30 09:13:34 CEST 2015

Hi Marius,

Am Montag, 30. März 2015, 02:24:28 schrieb Marius Hofert:
> Hi,
>
> I have Debian Testing running on a Lenovo Thinkpad X1
> Carbon (2015, 3rd gen.).

Please specify what version of R you are using and how you installed it.

> I would like to have a package library
> independent of the installed R version.

For this purpose, in the default setup on Debian we have
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library. When using the R backport from CRAN on Debian
testing this is what you should get:

 > sessionInfo()
 R version 3.1.3 (2015-03-09)
 Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
 Running under: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

 > .libPaths()
 [1] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library" "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
"/usr/lib/R/library"

> Under Ubuntu, I used to
> have the following line in ~/.Renviron:
> R_LIBS=/usr/local/R/library:/usr/lib/R/site-library This worked
> fine and /usr/local/R/library showed up in .libPaths().

This should usually not be necessary, as you can use the default location of
the local site library.

> However, under Debian (with the same ~/.Renviron), my .libPaths()
> just shows "/usr/local/R/R-3.1.3-build/library"

It looks like you have done something fairly non-standard to your system...

Cheers,

Johannes

> which is the
> version-dependent library (this used to come at 3rd position in
> .libPaths()). Does R on Debian not look for ~/.Renviron? I also
> tried R_LIBS_USER but no luck here either (although, as far as I
> understand Section 6.2 of "R Installation and Administration",
> R_LIBS or R_LIBS_USER should work (?))
>
> Cheers, Marius
>
> PS: I found two sites which seem to be related, but it was still
> not quite clear to me how to approach the problem:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2005-December/000050.html
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2010-May/001146.html

PD Dr. Johannes Ranke
Kronacher Str. 8