[R-sig-Debian] Cannot install R on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Austin Putz putz.austin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 22:17:20 CEST 2015

Hello everyone,

I've spent the last 2 days trying to install base R on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
machine. I even just wiped my entire computer and reinstalled the operating
system thinking that was the problem (since some people have problems
updating R).

So far I've tried to follow this link exactly that has instructions:

http://mirror.las.iastate.edu/CRAN/

Since I just reinstalled Ubuntu I figured I would have no problems. I was
just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I was getting an
error while doing sudo apt-get update that said:

....public key not available iastate... NO_PUBKEY 51716619E084DAB9

So I followed that link above and installed the keys (as far as I know).

The current error while trying sudo apt-get install r-base (not installed
previously, fresh OS) is:

Sat Jun 13 : ~ $ sudo apt-get install r-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 r-base : Depends: r-base-core (>= 3.2.0-4precise0) but it is not going to
be installed
          Depends: r-recommended (= 3.2.0-4precise0) but it is not going to
be installed
          Recommends: r-base-html but it is not going to be installed

I've tried countless other things and I'm just frustrated now from 2 days
of trying something that should be fairly straightforward (so I
thought...). I have tried installing the "Depends" packages, but no dice. I
tried going to Ubuntu Software Center thinking it may do something
differnet but no help either. Can't install dependencies. I don't even know
what else I've tried. I'm out of ideas.

Any help or solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Austin

--
Austin Putz