[R-sig-Debian] R3.2.1: tools::testInstalledBasic("both") fails since no tests are installed by default. Confirmed?

nospam at altfeld-im.de nospam at altfeld-im.de
Sun Jul 26 18:49:49 CEST 2015

Dear R-SIG-Debian team,

I have installed R3.2.1 as described at cran.r-project.org
on my Ubuntu 14.04 using the Ubuntu packages for R (r-base and
r-base-dev) from the package URL

deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/

I wanted to test the installation using the R commands:

    Sys.setenv(LC_COLLATE = "C", LANGUAGE = "en")
    library("tools")
    testInstalledBasic("both")

"testInstalledBasic()" failed with the error message:

    Error in setwd(file.path(R.home(), "tests")) :
      cannot change working directory

"R.home()" results in

    [1] "/usr/lib/R"

I looked into this folder and could not find test sub folder "tests"
where the base tests are supposed to be stored.

My questions:

1. Can you please confirm that the "tests" sub folder is no part of the
   packages? Otherwise I have to diagnose an installation problem on
   my computer...

2. What is the reason for not installing the tests (I am just curious)?

3. If the tests are useful: How can I install them manually?
   Since I install the binary package and do not build from the source
   I cannot call "make install-tests" as proposed in the
   "R Installation and Administration" in

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Testing-a-Unix_002dalike-Installation

Thx #J