[R-sig-Debian] R 3.1.2 for Debian jessie/testing available on CRAN

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Thu Feb 26 14:55:20 CET 2015

Dear Johannes,

Thanks a lot for this work! I have to admit that I'm now a little bit
puzzled, though. I'm running Debian Jessie (current testing) with great
satisfaction. When it comes to R, I simply have the SID repository
(official Debian) enabled, with some pining to get only R-related stuff.

Now, I'm not sure to understand the benefit of using the CRAN repository
for Jessie—I feel like I'm missing the point. I understand that these are
backports from Debian repositories, so I guess that jessie-cran3 is
probably synced with Debian-SID from time to time, right? (which means it
is essentially the same, with maybe a slight additional delay)

After a quick check of essential packages (in the Debian and R sense) for
me, I found out that Debian-SID is always the best choice, providing the
latest stable packages in all cases, while Debian-Jessie doesn't, and
jessie-cran3 is somewhat in between. For example (the comparison works for
version numbers):

r-base: Debian-SID = jessie-cran3 > Debian-Jessie
survival: Debian-SID > jessie-cran3 = Debian-Jessie
Matrix: Debian-SID = jessie-cran3 > Debian-Jessie
MASS: Debian-SID > jessie-cran3 > Debian-Jessie

So my question is: now that the Jessie repository in CRAN is up (thanks
again!), what would be the preferred way to handle R-related stuff on
Debian Jessie?

Thanks for any clarification!
Mathieu.

Le 01/02/2015 15:48, Johannes Ranke a écrit :
>> The repository for jessie is in the works - but don't expect it to be up
>> before next weekend.
>
> It's there now.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Johannes

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard