[R-sig-Debian] Rmpi install issues

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 8 01:57:39 CEST 2015

On 7 April 2015 at 10:52, Skye Bender-deMoll wrote:
| Hi Folks,
|   I've recently transitioned to Debian 8.0 and was having a hard time
| getting Rmpi to work.
|
| I believed I'd successfully installed dependencies via
|
|  > sudo apt-get install r-cran-rmpi
|
|  > apt-show-versions r-cran-rmpi
| r-cran-rmpi:amd64/jessie 0.6-5-1 uptodate

Right. That is a binary package, built against the MPI headers and library.

| but when installing the package I was still getting

But why are you installing it (again) when you just demonstrated that you
already have it installed?

Moreover, for installation from source you need the so-called _Build-Depends_
presents.  The error below very clearly tells you that you do not have
mpi.h.  So install it.  (That still doesn't answer why you'd reinstall if you
already have the package...)

| checking mpi.h presence... no
| checking for mpi.h... no
| configure: error: "Cannot find mpi.h header file"
| ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘Rmpi’
|
| I discovered that /usr/lib/openmpi/include/ was missing
|
| In hindsight, it is obvious that header files are only included when the
| dev version of openmpi is intalled:

Yes.

|  > sudo apt-get install libopenmpi-dev
|
| After which Rmpi package installed without error.

Yes. That package is in the Build-Depends for r-cran-rmpi, and is how we
build r-cran-rmpi.

| I'm not very familiar with debian package management, but wouldn't most
| debian R users be building package from source?  If so, maybe

No always.  They only do if they don't install r-cran-*

And if they do, they do it like every other Unix (or other) system user:
install the required dependencies first.

| libopenmpi-dev should be added as a dependency of r-cran-rmpi ?  If not,
| hopefully this post will help other users like me.

Not really as you managed to confuse yourself over two topics. Now, those are
a little tricky, but they also have been explained dozens of times here, on
StackOverflow and other places.

Hth, Dirk