[R-sig-Debian] mclapply Segmentation Fault for Ubuntu

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Thu Mar 27 13:52:44 CET 2014

On 03/27/2014 07:19 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Dario Strbenac
> <dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au> wrote:
>> Running the example in the documentation causes R to crash.
>>
>> dario at bioinfo:~$ R
>>
>> R version 3.0.3 (2014-03-06) -- "Warm Puppy"
>> Copyright (C) 2014 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>>
>> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
>> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>>
>>    Natural language support but running in an English locale
>>
>> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
>> Type 'contributors()' for more information and
>> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>>
>> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
>> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
>> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>>
>>> library(parallel)
>>> simplify2array(mclapply(rep(4, 5), rnorm))
>>
>>   *** caught segfault ***
>> address 0x7fee2a7229d0, cause 'memory not mapped'

I had the same error on my machine when I tested this.  The problem was
fixed by removing the package libopenblas-base that I made available on
my RDev PPA.  My first attempt will be to update those packages and see
if that solves the problem.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
Associate Professor of Statistics
Program Coordinator, Mathematics