[R-sig-Debian] Fw: Default shell in Debian 6 of R is SH instead of BASH

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Fri Mar 7 09:10:05 CET 2014

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2014, 23:46:28 schrieb Harutyun Khachatryan:
> Dear all,
>

> I am experiencing this problem with R in Debian 6.
>
> The config saying about default shell in R for Debian 6 is in file
> /usr/lib/R/etc/Makeconf (line 80 "SHELL = /bin/bash")

The comment on line 67 suggest that this variable is only used during the
build process.

> but in Debian 6
> default shell for R is always SH instead of BASH.

The default shell in Debian 6 is dash (it was bash before):

https://wiki.debian.org/Shell

> It can be checked by just
> typing in R system("echo $BASH_VERSION"). The same command system("echo
> $BASH_VERSION") in R for Centos 6.5 answers "4.1.2(1)-release". Also for
> Debian 6 in terminal command "echo $BASH_VERSION" also answers
> "4.1.2(1)-release". So it seems it is the problem of R configuration for
> Debian 6.

I see no problem to use bash during the build process and have dash as the
default shell for the system. bash and dash happily coexist.

> I have installed R from CRAN by method described in
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/.

Were you successful?

> The same problem exists for
> Ubuntu 12.04. I suppose this kind of problem exists for every Debian like
> i.e. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and others system.

It seems to me that there is no problem.

Johannes