[R-sig-Debian] Font issue in Debian Jesse after updates

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Feb 12 17:46:27 CET 2014

Hi,

My primary work computer (on which I have no sudo privileges) is running
Debian jessie. For various reasons I need to compile R in my personal
directory rather than using the site-wide install.

On 2013-12-20 the sysadmin ran apt-get upgrade, and now any R that I
compile errors when I try to use X11 fonts:

 > plot(1:10)
Error in axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...) :
   could not find any X11 fonts
Check that the Font Path is correct.

Anything compiled prior to the update is fine (e.g., I have two R-3.0.2
versions, one from before the upgrade and one I compiled yesterday. One
can find X11 fonts, and the other cannot, so it isn't a locale problem).

Has anybody seen this? Any suggestions?

Best,

Jim

--