[R-sig-Debian] Is the R package for Ubuntu compiled as a shared library?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Aug 11 18:01:07 CEST 2014

On 11 August 2014 at 17:37, Luís de Sousa wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| I have R 3.1.1 installed on Ubuntu 14.04 from the CRAN repo. Days ago
| I decided to give a try to the Eclipse extension for R (StatET). This
| extension requires the R packages "rj" and "rj.gd", but these fail to
| install no matter what. There is a long thread going on at the StatET
| mail-list, the latest details in this message:
|
| http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.eclipse.statet/165
|
| Yesterday a user sent a message saying he encountered the same error
| after compiling R without the shared library flag (--enable-R-shlib):
|
| http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.eclipse.statet/168
|
| So the question comes down to: is the R version packaged for Ubuntu
| 14.04 compiled with this option or not?

Yes:

edd at max:~$ ldd /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R  | head -2
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffcadd2000)
        libR.so => /usr/lib/libR.so (0x00007fa1e1379000)
edd at max:~$

It has been a shared library build since "forever". We used this fact with
other embedding solution (eg rkward, RInside, littler, ...)

| Any other hints that may help solving this problem are also welcome.

You may need to work with the StatET folks.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org