[R-sig-Debian] Update R on a new Linux Mint Maya 13 + rJava and XLConnect

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Fri Aug 1 07:34:47 CEST 2014

Keith,

As Linux Mint Maya 13 appears to be based on Ubuntu Precise, you may be
tempted to follow the corresponding Ubuntu README on CRAN. However, CRAN
maintainers do not officially support Mint, so I do not recommend this approach
as I have no idea in what ways Linux Mint deviates from Ubuntu Precise.

To be on the safe side, you could compile binaries for your platform from
suitable source packages in Debian format. There are some hints in the Debian
README on CRAN on how to do this.

This takes a bit of effort, which is why we provide binaries for Debian stable
and the most important Ubuntu releases on CRAN.

Maybe somebody else knows more about Mint 13 and its compatibility with Ubuntu
Precise?

Kind regards,

Johannes

Am Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2014, 22:28:04 schrieb Keith S Weintraub:
> Folks,
> I was able to get R installed using:
>    apt-get install r-base-core
>

> R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
> Copyright (C) 2011 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> ISBN 3-900051-07-0
> Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
>

> * What is the best way to upgrade to the latest version of R.
> * What is the best way to install rJava and XLConnect.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Best,
> KW
>
> PS. I know some of you may have seen these questions before from me on
> r-help. I was told this forum might be a better place to peddle my
> problems.
>
> --

PD Dr. Johannes Ranke
Kronacher Str. 8