[R-sig-Debian] possible Sweave problem in rdevel build on Debian 6.0.8?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 22 03:06:16 CEST 2013

On 21 October 2013 at 17:00, Skye Bender-deMoll wrote:
| As of last night, we are running into a build failure when trying to
| compile the development version of R from the svn repository, Revision:
| 64090:
|
| ./configure && make -j4 distclean && ./configure && make -j4
|
| [lots of normal compile output not shown...]
|
| building/updating vignettes for package 'utils' ...
| processing 'Sweave.Rnw'
| Error: running Sweave on vignette
| '/net/home/rpackagebuilder/src/R.trunk/src/library/utils/vignettes/Sweave.Rnw'
|
| failed with message:
| <text>:1:1: unexpected '|'
| 1: |
|       ^
| Execution halted
| make[1]: *** [vignettes-lattice] Error 1
| make[1]: Leaving directory
| `/net/home/rpackagebuilder/src/R.trunk/src/library'
| make: *** [vignettes] Error 2
|

| The same vignette compiles without error on the same machine using the
| stable release version of R.  Does anyone have suggestions on how I
| might debug this further to determine if this is an issue with Sweave,
| the vignette, or our system configuration?

This strikes me as an issue for, at best, r-devel. SVN snapshots of R _are
unreleased_ software without implied guaranty. That said, I too build R from
SVN about once a week, but I have not had issues in years. And I just did an
'svn up' followed by my build script, and all is still well:

edd at max:~$ bin/R-devel.sh

R Under development (unstable) (2013-10-21 r64091) -- "Unsuffered Consequences"
Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
[....]

Using Ubuntu 13.04, current. Also using MAKE="make -j4" -- so I think you
need to do so some debugging at your end.