[R-sig-Debian] Can't install R 2.15 and r-recommended on Ubuntu

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 19:12:03 CET 2013

I may have misunderstood the first question in this thread, but now that
I have a vague idea what Travis-CI is about, perhaps someone could
answer some questions (apologies if I have not yet grokked the proper
terminology):

-An R package would often require other R packages in order to build and
test. Would the strategy for making other packages available be to use
"install", or "before_script"? Potentially this settup will take very
much more time than the actual testing, or is there a way to easy this
load?

-Are you thinking of all packages being available via apt-get, or will
this support "R CMD INSTALL"?

-How do the virtual machine snapshots get set up? Is that what is being
done in the R+Travis project, or what would be needed to merge this into
travis as a first-class citizen?

-Is there a mechanism to contribute worker boxes for specific platforms?
Is it possible to restrict them to be available only for certain
purposes? (e.g. R package builds but not C++ project testing.)

-Is this thread on R-sig-debian only because the original question was
about installing on Ubuntu? I have the impression that the Travis-CI
infrastructure is more general than debian, or am I wrong about that?.

WRT my original misunderstanding: I do think you need to think of R and
recommended packages as one combined compiler system, not try to test
newer recommended packages against older R versions. I don't think
mixing new recommended packages with old R versions should be expected
to work very well, and (I hope) very few people would think of using a
mixed system. Even installing from source you get them together. OTOH,
testing new versions of other packages against old versions of R (with
the corresponding recommended packages) makes sense if the package
maintainer has not indicated that a newer R version is needed.

Thanks,
Paul