[R-sig-Debian] clean wheezy, R intrigue, squeeze-cran3 requires liblzma2?

Charles Plessy charles-r-nospam at plessy.org
Sun May 12 01:28:08 CEST 2013

Le Sat, May 11, 2013 at 04:25:14PM -0500, Paul Johnson a écrit :

> This is a completely clean, fresh install.  I've not installed any peculiar
> libraries or packages, except R, the installation of which still puzzles
> me.
>
> I configured a CRAN mirror for packages using squeeze-cran3 folder, and
> that's where the first funny thing happened.  I noticed same when R-2.15.3
> came out, but I thought I had this trouble because my system was all junked
> up with unusual libraries.  But now, on a clean system, I get this error,
> which indicates I need a package liblzma2, which does not exist in Debian:

>  r-base-core : Depends: liblzma2 (>= 4.999.9beta+20091116) but it is not
> installable
>                Recommends: r-recommended but it is not going to be installed
>                Recommends: r-base-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                Recommends: r-doc-html but it is not going to be installed

Dear Paul,

the packages in the squeeze-cran3 folder are built for the Debian "Squeeze"
(6.0) distribution.  The liblzma2 package exists in Squeeze, but not in Wheezy
(Debian 7.0, the distribution you used for your fresh install).  Downgrades
are not supported, as exemplified by your problem.

Debian Wheezy was released just one week ago, so I guess it is only a matter of
time before a "wheezy-cran" folder will be provided.

Best regards,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan