[R-sig-Debian] R 3 and Debian Testing

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Fri May 10 01:52:55 CEST 2013

Dear Lorenzo,

Am Dienstag, 7. Mai 2013, 18:33:12 schrieb Lorenzo Isella:
> Dear All,
> I am using Debian testing on multiple machine machines at home.
> This is my source list
>
>   deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> So, my repositories always point to the latest Debian testing, even now
> after the new release of Debian 7.
> I am wondering if, after the new release of Debian 7, R 3 will become
> routinely available to me, without the need to add any specific repository.

Yes, I believe R 3 will enter testing at some point and you will get it this
way.

I am currently preparing a wheezy repository on CRAN with R 3.0, so you could
also use that once it is there. However, at the moment there are r-cran-*
packages (e.g. r-cran-abind) and other things (e.g. python-rpy2) in jessie
(testing) that are not compatible with R 3.0, as the versions rebuilt using R
3.0 have not propagated to testing yet.

Kind regards,

Johannes