[R-sig-Debian] downgrading to R 2.15.1-4 from sid beta 3.0.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 26 00:51:24 CET 2013

On 26 March 2013 at 07:35, Charles Plessy wrote:
| Le Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:14:11PM -0500, Sebastian P. Luque a écrit :
| > On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:14:15 -0500,
| > Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| >
| > > c) If you must downgrade, I would downgrade to 2.15.3-2 from CRAN
| > > rather than 2.15.1.
| >
| > Great, doing that right now.
|
| Hi Sebastian and everybody,
|
| Note (if it helps) that it is also available from snapshot.debian.org.
|
|     http://snapshot.debian.org/package/r-base/

Ace -- thanks for the reminder about snapshot.d.o.

As for Seb's query about mass-updates: what you do from ESS, I do from shell
via littler -- and yes, I usually control via lib.loc(). In this case we may
want to force it everywhere... though I can't fully recommend to overwrite
files owned by dpkg and apt-*.  If it breaks, you keep the pieces.

And lastly, this is of course a bug in r-base as it could potentially
conflict with its dependents. In practive, I don't see how we could do this
easily so the best bet is probably to simply upgrade the .deb packages as
fast as possible.

Dirk

My ~/bin/update.r is below, with some comments removed. A version is also in
the littler sources and Debian package.

#!/usr/bin/r -t
#
# a simple example to update packages in /usr/local/lib/R/site-library
# parameters are easily adjustable

## adjust as necessary, see help('download.packages')
repos <- "http://cran.r-project.org"

## this makes sense on Debian where no package touch /usr/local
lib.loc <- "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"

## simply unrolling of all unlink over all files 'repos*' in $TMP
clearCache <- function() {
  sapply(list.files(path=tempdir(), pattern="repos_http", full.names=TRUE), unlink)
}

## Always clear caches of remote and local packages
clearCache()

## r use requires non-interactive use
update.packages(repos=repos, ask=FALSE, lib.loc=lib.loc)