[R-sig-Debian] downgrading to R 2.15.1-4 from sid beta 3.0.0

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:14:11 CET 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:14:15 -0500,
Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 25 March 2013 at 12:01, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using sid, and this morning I carelessly upgraded R core
>> packages, which are currently at the beta 3.0.0 version.  I hadn't
>> read that packages need to be re-built to be used with this beta
>> version.  I'd happily do that locally (via 'install.packages') for
>> those that haven't yet been re-built in Debian, but some just don't
>> allow that, notably nlme which has a Depends on R (≥ 2.14.0), R (<
>> 3.0.0)...  So I decided to just downgrade the base packages,
>> temporarily remove the r-cran-* dependendants, and then install nlme
>> (and others) locally until the April release of 3.0.0 and the rest of
>> the packages get rebuilt in Debian.
>>
>> Is there a more efficient way to deal with this when a new R requires
>> such rebuilds in Debian?

> a) You are on unstable... So sorry for the breakage but that is why
> 'production' should run testing or stable.

I know, and am usually more careful than that with unstable...

> b) There is a simple update.package() invocation you can do, it will
> update all you packages (in /usr/lib/R as well as /usr/local/lib/R);
> it needs an argument you need to set...

Indeed, and (off topic) I wrote a function `ess-rutils-update-pkgs' in
ess-rutils, to make this easy from iESS mode.  However, wont't this
break the Debian packages placed in /usr/lib/R, when the 'lib.loc'
argument matches this (this would need normally need super user access)?

> c) If you must downgrade, I would downgrade to 2.15.3-2 from CRAN
> rather than 2.15.1.

Great, doing that right now.

Thanks,

--