[R-sig-Debian] configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Mar 22 19:42:40 CET 2013

On 22 March 2013 at 14:19, Srinivasan, Sathish  K wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
| Thanks for the reply.
| I read the link for pre-builds before I posted an email. However, I did not know the way to configure the installation directory using apt-get utility. This is the only reason, why I chose to build and compile the source package where I can configure the installation directory using --prefix option or by passing the directory name to the make command. Do have any suggestion for it please? I mean, if you use apt-get install, it will override the previous installation of R, right? My requirement is to hold onto 2 different versions of R in my system.

Sorry, this list supports the packages a few of us provide, pro-bono and in
our spare time.  We can't do extra free consulting.  You'll need to work
this out.

And yes, it's not hard if you know the details, but I don't have the time or
bandwidth to teach you. Maybe there is a local user group you can tap into.

Otherwise, R itself gives you an entire manual entitled 'R Installation and
Adminstration'.  All this is documented.

Sorry, Dirk

| Also, this is the first time, I used build-dep feature of apt-get utility, so I have no prior knowledge of building packages for debian.
|
| In one of the stackoverflow answers, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8343686/how-to-install-2-different-r-versions-on-debian , you mentioned about "local debian build". What is it actually means? You refered diff.gz in your following answers. Could you please expound on it in detail or provide some reading links for it, if possible.
|
| -Sathish

| |
| | ./configure --prefix=/opt/R2.15.3/
| |
| | Subsequently, I got two warnings and one error message such as the following:
| |