[R-sig-Debian] configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available

Srinivasan, Sathish K SSrinivasan at med.miami.edu
Fri Mar 22 04:56:21 CET 2013

Hi everyone,
I am trying to install R.2.15.3 from the source code obtained from http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/base/R-2/R-2.15.3.tar.gz  in my Debian version: Squeeze box.

In order to have multiple versions of R in my system, I gave this command to configure.

./configure --prefix=/opt/R2.15.3/

Subsequently, I got two warnings and one error message such as the following:

configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of vignettes and help pages
configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available

Could someone direct me with a solution to the above issues. From the error messages, I can understand that I am not having the required X11 headers/libs, so what packages in debian squeeze should I have to install for the error messages to disappear during compilation of R source code.

Thank you

-Sathish