[R-sig-Debian] Aborted (core dumped) installing packages

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sun Mar 10 01:08:57 CET 2013

On 03/09/2013 12:11 PM, Carlos Solís wrote:

> 2013/3/8 Carlos Solís <solfonca at gmail.com <mailto:solfonca at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hello, I've reinstalled r-base and also r-base-dev but I am having
>     the same problem, I am running R-2.15.3 "Security Blanket", and
>     Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS "Precise Pangolin" and it happens with any
>     package I try to install. It seems to be a memory problem this are
>     my netbook specs:
>

>   1 GB of RAM
> Intel® Atom™ CPU N455 @ 1.66GHz × 2
> Linux Kernel 3.5.0-25-generic
>

>     Thanks for the response!!!

Carlos,

I can't recreate this error, but it has been experienced and discussed
before.  A google search of "*** buffer overflow detected ***:
/usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R" will bring up previous discussions.  Based on
past responses, it is likely either a locale issue or a consequence of
doing an upgrade to 12.04 vs. a fresh install.  This issue is related to
the way your compilers are configured and google would be a better
option for finding a solution.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College