[R-sig-Debian] Aborted (core dumped) installing packages

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sat Mar 9 04:06:15 CET 2013

Carlos,

On 03/08/2013 09:26 PM, Carlos Solís wrote:
> Hello!, this is my first post, I am a beginner user of ubuntu linux.
>
> I have a problem installing packages from CRAN repositories, I mean using
> the command install.packages().
>
> I followed the instructions from this site
> http://cran.r-project.org/index.html.
>
> I know that I need the ubuntu package r-base-dev to install packages with
> that command.
>
> I run in a terminal the following commands:
>
>> sudo R
>>> install.packages("faraway")
>>>---------Clipped to save space -----------------<<<<<
> bfe63000-bfe85000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0          [stack]Aborted (core
> dumped)Warning in install.packages :
>    installation of package ‘faraway’ had non-zero exit status
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
> 	‘/tmp/RtmpjJbENN/downloaded_packages’
>

> As I said i am very new to linux and I don't know what I'm missing.
>
> I hope you can help me.
>
> Note: I've installed the ubuntu package build-essential.

I am able to install the "faraway" package without issue on my Ubuntu
box, so this will be difficult to diagnosis.  My first suggestion would
be to remove r-base and then reinstall it.  Also, try running R as root
to install packages: "sudo R".

What versions of R and Ubuntu are you running?  That may help determine
the problem.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College