[R-sig-Debian] r-cran-rjava (ubuntu 13.04 ?) -- missing dependencies?

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sat Jun 15 16:21:33 CEST 2013

On 06/15/2013 07:55 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Martin,
>
> On 15 June 2013 at 11:47, Martin Maechler wrote:
> | I am really no java lover, but for some reason had interested to look
> | at an R package that depends on  rJava...
> | and when I tried, I was *again* (it is my usual experience for more
> | than 10 years)
> | unable to get rJava installed,
> | as indeed, also   'R CMD javareconf'  ended  in an error that  jni.h
> | was not found.
> |
> | I see the issue here,
> | http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16438073/unable-to-install-rjava-in-r-3-0-in-ubuntu-13-04
> |
> | including the proposed solution
> |
> |    sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-*
> |
> | which installs 690 MB (!) of stuff (not counting the "basic openjdk-7"
> | installed previously)...
> | and indeed solves the problem  {i.e.  'R CMD javareconf'  then succeeds}.
> |
> | ---
> | 'openjdk-7-*' in its (debian) dependencies.
>
> "Maybe. Maybe not."
>
> The _binary_ package r-cran-rjava builds with the virtual package
> 'default-jdk':  [ lines indented and formatted ]
>
>    edd at max:~$ grep Build-Depends src/debian/CRAN/rJava-0.9-4/debian/control
>    Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7.0.0), r-base-dev (>= 3.0.0~20130324), cdbs, \
>    automake, default-jdk [!arm !hppa !kfreebsd-i386 !kfreebsd-amd64 !hurd-i386 !mips]
>    edd at max:~$
>
> So in Debian unstable, testing, ... this seems works as the package builds
> and loads.  From the build log I keep:
>
>    The following NEW packages will be installed:
>      autoconf{a} automake{a} autotools-dev{a} ca-certificates{a}
>      [...]
>      libxml2{a} libxrandr2{a} libxtst6{a} m4{a} man-db{a} openjdk-6-jdk{a}
>      openjdk-6-jre{a} openjdk-6-jre-headless{a} openjdk-6-jre-lib{a}
>      openssl{a} po-debconf{a} shared-mime-info{a} tzdata-java{a}
>    0 packages upgraded, 82 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
> I can see that on Debian openjdk-6-* works.  That makes the packaging
> consistent with the distro / OS.
>
> Why Ubuntu needs openjdk-7 I do not know. It is not entirely satisfactory but
> I do not have a better answer.
>
> Dirk

Thought I had this issue licked on the Ubuntu side of things, but it
appears I did not.  Regardless, I have played around with the install
depends and I THINK things are now working.  I was able to install rJava
and run it from within R on fresh (virtual) install of Ubuntu 13.04.
Those rJava packages are available on my RRutter PPA.  If it continues
to fail to work, please let me know.

Would also like to point out that the r-cran-rjava package available in
the Ubuntu repositories is not compatible with R 3.0.1.  You must use
the package from RRutter PPA.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College