[R-sig-Debian] r-cran-rjava (ubuntu 13.04 ?) -- missing dependencies?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 15 11:47:43 CEST 2013

I am really no java lover, but for some reason had interested to look
at an R package that depends on  rJava...
and when I tried, I was *again* (it is my usual experience for more
than 10 years)
unable to get rJava installed,
as indeed, also   'R CMD javareconf'  ended  in an error that  jni.h
was not found.

I see the issue here,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16438073/unable-to-install-rjava-in-r-3-0-in-ubuntu-13-04

including the proposed solution

   sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-*

which installs 690 MB (!) of stuff (not counting the "basic openjdk-7"
installed previously)...
and indeed solves the problem  {i.e.  'R CMD javareconf'  then succeeds}.

---
'openjdk-7-*' in its (debian) dependencies.

Martin