[R-sig-Debian] CRAN-only "Hash Sum mismatch"

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Mon Jan 28 05:30:54 CET 2013

Hi Tom,

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:47:56PM -0500, Tom Roche wrote:

> summary: updating R .deb's from recommended mirrors @
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/mirrors.html
>
> has allowed me to keep my R version up-to-date for many months. But

That's nice to know. Please, the next time you ask for help on a Debian
mailing list, mention from the beginning that you are using a derivative
(Linux Mint).

> since Friday (25 Jan) I get errors like
>
> Failed to fetch <mirror URI/>/squeeze-cran/<deb name/>: Hash Sum mismatch
>
> but can install .deb's from non-CRAN sources. No fix from
>
> sudo rm /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin
> sudo rm /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin
> sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*
> sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*
>
> and either
>
> sudo aptitude update
> or
> sudo apt-get update
>
> details:

Meanwhile you got some more hints on this thread on debian-user.

> > I'm getting
>
> > > E: Failed to fetch http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/linux/debian/squeeze-cran/r-base-core_2.15.2-1~squeezecran.0_amd64.deb: Hash Sum mismatch
>
> > So I changed my sources.list
>
> > - deb http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/
> > + deb http://watson.nci.nih.gov/cran_mirror/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/

I just tried the latter entry on squeeze, and the indices download fine
after doing aptitude update:

Get:4 http://mirrors.nics.utk.edu squeeze-cran/ Release.gpg [198 B]
Ign http://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/bin/linux/debian/ squeeze-cran/
Translation-de
Ign http://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/bin/linux/debian/ squeeze-cran/
Translation-en
Get:5 http://mirrors.nics.utk.edu squeeze-cran/ Release [3651 B]
Get:6 http://mirrors.nics.utk.edu squeeze-cran/ Packages [16.9 kB]
Fetched 392 kB in 1s (206 kB/s)

so the problem may be an incomplete upgrade at your end (just guessing,
based on the thread on debian-user). Maybe try removing the CRAN
sources, complete the upgrade, and try again. However, please bear in
mind that you are using a repository for Debian squeeze, and I have no
idea in what way the Linux Mint release you are using deviates from
Debian stable.

Regards,

Johannes