[R-sig-Debian] How to upgrade from 2.15.1 to 2.15.1 patched?

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 22 19:57:11 CEST 2012

Michael Rutter <mar36 at psu.edu> writes:

> On 09/22/2012 12:54 PM, Marius Hofert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to upgrade R-2.15.1 to R-2.15.1 patched (under Ubuntu 12.04). What's
>> the recommended way to do so?
>>
>> I did the following steps for installing R under Ubuntu 12.04 (as far as I
>> remember, Dirk Eddelbuettel recommended this and helped me on several occasions
>> with the installation):
>>
>> 1) sudo emacs /etc/apt/sources.list
>> 2) add:
>>     deb http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu precise/
>> 3) do:
>>     gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
>>     gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
>> 4) do:
>>     sudo apt-get update
>>     sudo apt-get install r-base
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Marius
>
> Marius,
>
> That should work.  Not sure what you mean by "patched" however.  Is there
> something in particular you are hoping to get from the CRAN version of R for
> Ubuntu?
>
> Michael

Dear Michael,

thanks for helping. The above steps only work for installing R-2.15.1 (from
June), but how can I obtain the latest patched version? In the patched version,
a couple of bugs were fixed, one of which affects me, that's why I would like to
install the patched version. I used to install R from source, but I remember
that Dirk did not recommend this (I had some troubles while doing so), so I was
hoping that there is an "easy" (like the above) way to install the patched
version.

Cheers,

Marius