[R-sig-Debian] Installing R2.15.1 on ubuntu

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Sep 21 00:36:54 CEST 2012

On 09/20/2012 04:33 PM, Michael Conklin wrote:
> Per the suggestion of this list when I posted on the r-help list, I have
> gone to cran, linux downloads and read the read me file to try and install
> the binary for R 2.15.1 on my ubuntu AMD64 machine.  I added to my
> sources.list the deb http:\\cran.wustl.edu\bin\linux\ubuntu precise main  .
> Then I ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install r-base.  The system
> promptly installs R 2.14.1 .  I have tried this with 2 different cran
> mirrors with the same results.  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. I have very little experience with ubuntu or linux although I
> feel I am being forced to learn quite a bit very quickly, so specific
> suggestions are more helpful than generic ones.
>
> Michael Conklin

Michael,

I think the easiest way to get the current R packages is to use the PPA
that supplies CRAN.  To enable that, at a command line enter

  sudo apt-add-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter

That will add the correct information into your apt sources list.

More infomration can be found out my Ubuntu and R blog,
http://tiny.cc/ubunturblog.