[R-sig-Debian] Refresh times very slow for simple plots.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Sep 5 13:44:16 CEST 2012

Yes, I suffer from that too, especially as I mostly have the x11() windows
pop up on a machine different from the one doing the calculation (the latter
being a headless server).

If you look at help(x11), you see that there are (at least) three device
types. At one point I made 'nbcairo' (non-buffered cairo) the default and it
seemed to help.

The real culprit, though, is the R device model. And a real alternative is
offered eg by Simon's 'xplots extremes' using OpenGL acceleration, see
http://rforge.net/Acinonyx/

He gave absolutely stunning live presentations using this. May be a good
alternative for 'large' data.