[R-sig-Debian] Install rgdal, lazy loading error

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:28:17 CEST 2012

Greetings

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Ben Weinstein
<benweinstein2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have successfully made and installed both gdal, and proj.4, but still
> cannot get rgdal to be installed in R. I think i'm very close. I do not
> have root access, if that matters, i've installed everything locally. I'm
> using debian on a beowulf cluster.
>
> I call:
>
> install.packages("rgdal", .libPaths()[1], configure.args =
> "--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/pkg/gdal/bin/gdal-config
> --with-proj-include=/nfs/user08/bw4sz/include
> --with-proj-lib=/nfs/user08/bw4sz/lib")
>
> i've defeated the gdal-config and the api_proj.h file errors that have
> plagued others. Now i believe i've run into a smaller problem.
>
> The package downloads and installs but it fails the lazy loading test

Suppose before you try the build, you add that "libs" directory to the
dynamic linker path, such as

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/nfs/user08/bw4sz/library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so

Then try the build.

If that works, then you have a sortof classic "user in a Unix
environment" problem.  Either you need a system administrator to
install that library and the devel stuff for it in the usual places,
or you need to do some work to add the libs folder to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

What do you think?

pj