[R-sig-Debian] MASS is blocked for R 2.15.0

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue May 15 15:08:10 CEST 2012

On 05/15/2012 08:50 AM, Michael Friendly wrote:
> On 5/14/2012 10:11 AM, Michael Rutter wrote:
>>

>> On 05/14/2012 09:16 AM, Michael Friendly wrote:
>>> I updated R to R 2.15.0 via apt-get and received the message that
>>> r-cran-mass was blocked.
>>> I recently tried apt-get update/ apt-get safe-upgrade and received the
>>> same message, for
>>> r-cran-mass-7.3.16-1lucid0
>>>
>>> I currently have MASS 7.3-7 installed
>>>
>>> How can I figure out what is wrong and correct it?
>>>
>>> thx,
>>
>> What repository are you using for R: default Ubunut, CRAN, or the PPA?
>> Note, a new version has been released (7.3-18) and I just uploaded it
>> (available soon on PPA, next 12-24 hours on CRAN). That may fix the
>> issue.
>>
>> Michael
> I'm using CRAN. In /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://probability.ca/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu lucid/
>
> I guess what I'm asking is, first how can I tell *why* MASS is being
> blocked; then maybe I can figure out how to fix it.

The issue may be the use of the the "safe-upgrade" option.  The first
thing is that I don't think apt-get has a "safe-upgrade" option.  Are
you using aptitude or the "dist-upgrade" option in apt-get?  I think you
can solve the problem by just using "apt-get upgrade".  I don't know why
it is blocking MASS, but something in the "safe/dist-upgrade" procedure
is holding it back.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science