[R-sig-Debian] Installing LaTeX class files not available in Debian packages

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue May 8 17:56:10 CEST 2012

I apologize for abusing the list somewhat but there is some connection
to R.  Several of the example files in the knitr package for R use the
tufte-handout class, which, AFAICS, is not available in Ubuntu or
Debian packages (please correct me if I am wrong).

The source files are available at tufte-latex.googlecode.com (a.k.a.
code.google.com/p/tufte-latex) and I presume they should end up in a
subdirectory of /usr/local/share/texmf or something like that.  Is
there a standard approach to adding unpackaged class files?