[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu Lucid, R 2.14.2, and ggplot2

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Mar 22 20:52:32 CET 2012

On 22 March 2012 at 12:21, Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:
| Hi Scott,
|
| I like apt-get and dpkg.
|
| They made administering my Debian box much more
| convenient.
|
| However, I was surprised some time ago to see that
| Debian's package management technology was failing
| to keep up with new releases of R packages.
|
| It seemed to me that R's packages were evolving
| faster than Debian's archives were updated.

You need to carefully think through /which distro version/ with which release
cycle you want.

I keep what I maintain (R itself, dozens of r-cran-* package /very current/
but that goes into Debian unstable, and then after a few days into Debian
testing.  "Testing" is a good compromise.

Debian stable does only get much less infrequently.  As "stable" means no updates.

Ubuntu is somewhere in the middle.

Now, cran2deb (as in Michael's cran2deb4ubuntu or the new debian-r.debian.net
by Don) is orthogonal to both.

Dirk

| I had to used R's built in package management
| tool.
|
| If I recall correctly, it's named something like
| update_package() or update_packages() and
| it downloads new R code from CRAN.
|
| If you haven't already considered R's built in
| package management, you may want to try it.
|
| I hope that helps,
| Kingsley

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx