[R-sig-Debian] Secure apt

Ian Gow iandgow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:51:21 CET 2012

Scott:

I have the same issue with the firewall.

My experience is that, after following Dirk's directions on the CRAN page for Debian/Ubuntu (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/), sometimes the web search gets returned with :11371 embedded in the URL and that gets blocked too. My low-tech solution is as follows.

After I go to http://keyserver.ubuntu.com and do a search, I get:

http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=rutter%2C+michael&op=vindex

So I edit out the 11371 to get

http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?search=rutter%2C+michael&op=vindex

and from that I get a webpage looking like the text below (with hyperlinks for each "E084DAB9"). I can then click the top link, save the result as key.txt and then follow the directions on the CRAN Debian/Ubuntu page above.

(My previous low-low-tech solution was to pull up the page on my iPhone--with WiFi off--and email the text to myself. But the merely low-tech approach is less painful.)

-Ian

Result for http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?search=rutter%2C+michael&op=vindex: