[R-sig-Debian] Upgrade from 2.11.1 to 2.14.2 options?

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Tue Mar 13 23:03:47 CET 2012

Hi Jim,

Seems you need some pinning. What's the result of:

apt-cache policy r-base

?

Mathieu.

Le 13/03/2012 17:57, Jim Armstrong a écrit :
> Linux kernel 2.6.18-2-pve Proxmox vm.
> debian_version 6.0.4 Squeeze
> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> locale:
>
> New to R, new to Debian.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from 2.11.1 to 2.14 following the steps outlined in
> the doc below that I found on the link.
>
> http://www.r-project.org/ -
>
> DEBIAN PACKAGES OF R SOFTWARE
>
> I added this line to the sources.list file it's my closest mirror.
> deb-src http://cran.wustl.edu/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/
>
> Ran apt-get update and then apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
> No errors returned seemed to run clean.
> Ran sessionInfo() from within R and it returns 2.11.1
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
> Do I need to take a different approach?
>
> I have this link but I'm not sure of what I need off of it. If I do need to
> pull something from it.
>
> Index of /bin/linux/debian/squeeze-cran
>
> Thanks
>

>      For a backport of the latest R release to squeeze, simply add something
> like
>
>       deb http://<favorite-cran-mirror>/
>     bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/
>
>     to the file /etc/apt/sources.list on your computer and install as
>     usual. Note that you need to substitute<favorite-cran-mirror>  by one of
> the
>     mirror URLs listed in
>
>       http://cran.r-project.org/mirrors.html
>
>     There are binaries for the i386 and amd64 architectures. You
>     can use the source packages from
>
>       deb-src http://<favorite-cran-mirror>/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/
>
>     to compile binaries for other platforms.
>
>     With an appropriate entry in /etc/apt/sources.list, the newest R release
>     can be
>     installed using a command sequence like
>
>       apt-get update
>       apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.