[R-sig-Debian] Template for building .deb packages for missing libraries?

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Jan 13 00:39:53 CET 2012

On 01/12/2012 05:08 PM, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> Greeting R debianites -
>
> There are a number of R libraries I need debianized (for Ubuntu Maverick
> systems, if it matters) -- ISwR, Hmisc, mosaic, mosaicManip, HSAUR2 --
> which I couldn't find debian packages for.
>
> The structure of R libraries is so regular that I'm guessing surely
> there must be a template for creating debian packages for them, or maybe
> a set of instructions?
>
> Does anyone have such a thing?

Patrick,

I would suggest the Ubuntu Packaging Guide
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete) as a starting place,
at the same time using one of the .deb packages found on CRAN as a guide
to see what Dirk and I (mainly Dirk) add to the source file to create
the package.  In fact, the first time I built a package from the .tar.gz
file, I used a lot of the same files from an already existing .deb file.

Hmisc is available on c2d4u
(https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/c2d4u) for Natty and Oneiric,
but not for Maverick, the others you mention are not.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College