[R-sig-Debian] Problems compiling packages from source: can't find -lquadmath.

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 03:51:02 CET 2012

Hi all,

I have recently installed Debian squeeze on a Dell T7500, but I have
pinned R and friends to come from the unstable distribution. Currently I
have these Debian packages installed (with dependencies):

r-base-core 2.14.1-1
r-base-dev 2.14.1-1

The problem comes when installing new source packages from CRAN using
install.packages(). Below is a typical installation output:

* installing *source* package ‘gee’ ...
** libs
gfortran -fpic -O3 -pipe -g -c dgedi.f -o dgedi.o
gfortran -fpic -O3 -pipe -g -c dgefa.f -o dgefa.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include -fpic -O3 -pipe -g -c ugee.c -o ugee.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -o gee.so dgedi.o dgefa.o ugee.o -lblas
-lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lquadmath
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [gee.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘gee’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/gee’

The downloaded packages are in
‘/tmp/Rtmp7Cgdu4/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("gee") :
installation of package ‘gee’ had non-zero exit status

The problem seems to be with the location of libquadmath. I tried
putting a symbolic link to libquadmath.so.0.0.0 (which is in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu) in /usr/lib64/R/lib , after reading the
following thread (with the help of an internet translator!):

http://r-br.2285057.n4.nabble.com/R-br-lquadmath-td4124090.html

However, this has not solved the problem at all.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat, AStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

Statistics is the grammar of science - Karl Pearson.