[R-sig-Debian] Broken R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Feb 29 20:42:03 CET 2012

On 29 February 2012 at 12:36, Ed Siefker wrote:
| Also, I have the following R packages installed:
|
| ebs15242 at biox:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep ^r-
| r-base						install
| r-base-core					install
| r-base-dev					install
| r-cran-boot					install
| r-cran-class					install
| r-cran-cluster					install
| r-cran-codetools				install
| r-cran-foreign					install
| r-cran-kernsmooth				install
| r-cran-lattice					install
| r-cran-mass					install
| r-cran-matrix					install
| r-cran-mgcv					install
| r-cran-nlme					install
| r-cran-nnet					install
| r-cran-rpart					install
| r-cran-spatial					install
| r-cran-survival					install
| r-doc-html					install
| r-doc-info					install
| r-doc-pdf					install
| r-recommended					install
|

| On 2/29/12, Ed Siefker <ebs15242 at gmail.com> wrote:
| > Hi, I am running Debian Sid. I am having
| > trouble with the R packages.
| >
| > Executing 'help()' or 'demo()' launches 'most' with no text.

You need to set / change the default browser -- from /etc/R/Renviron:

   ## Default browser
   R_BROWSER=${R_BROWSER-'xdg-open'}

so the xdg-open command picks most, and most does not know what to do with
the arguments. Works with less.

| > 'help.start()' works properly.
| >
| > When I try to install a package, I get the following problem:
| >
| > *********************************************************************
| >> install.packages("ctv")
| > Installing package(s) into ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
| > (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
| > --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---

No error. You provided no default.

| > Warning: unable to access index for repository
| > http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib

No idea. Network?  Try a different site.

| > Warning message:
| > In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
| >   package ‘ctv’ is not available (for R version 2.14.2)

So install ctv.

Dirk

| > The system in question has a direct connection to the internet.
| > I can browse to the repository and find the ctv package.
| > The user has read and write permissions on '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
| >
| > I don't know what to do here.  Can someone advise?

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx