[R-sig-Debian] Accessto OpenBLAS

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Wed Feb 15 00:15:17 CET 2012

On 02/14/2012 04:56 PM, Scott Raynaud wrote:
> My IT people have set up R on a a Kubuntu box with an RWkard
> front end.  I have OpenBLAS set up as a shared BLAS but I'm not
> sure how to get R to see it.  A.3.1 of the installation docs talks
> about it but I'm not clear if I need a option on my startup line or
> if I need to find a config file.  The BLAS is is in:
>
> /usr/lib/openblas-base
>
> on my machine. I'm not sure how to confirm that R is seeing
> the BLAS.
>
> Recommendations?

Scott,

There used to be a good post about this on a blog, but the blog has gone
under.  Luckily, I was able to salvage the post from Google cache.  Here
is the relevant part:

     Copy the resulting .so shared object library file
(libgoto2_penrynp-r1.12.so on my machine) to /usr/lib
     The original BLAS library located there is called libblas.so.3gf.0.
  Back this file up:  cp libblas.so.3gf.0  libblas.so.3gf.0.keep
     Make a symbolic link to the new BLAS library:
     ln -s libgoto2_penrynp-r1.12.so libblas.so.3gf.0

Basically, you need to make sure that the file "libblas.so.3gf.0" links
to the location of your lib.  I would find a benchmark file
(http://r.research.att.com/benchmarks/) to test R before and after
creating the link, just to make sure it is working.

Hope this helps,