[R-sig-Debian] Error installing libraries (eg RODBC) on R-2.15.0 : cannot find 'config.log'

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 19 15:00:36 CEST 2012

On 19 April 2012 at 11:14, Wolfgang Raffelsberger wrote:
| Dear  Michael,
|
| thank's for your quick answer. Yes, I've thought about the sudo option
| which should work with RODBC as you stated, but probably it won't with a

a) For RODBC, just do 'apt-get install r-cran-rodbc'. Similar for many other
packages on the repos, and if you got to Michael's PPA (for Ubuntu) or Don's
site (for Debian) you get almost all of CRAN as a binary .deb.

| bunch of other R-libraries suffering the same problem.
| Anyway, this is the installation on a bigger system and the system
| adminstrator doesn't think giving me the rights for sudo is a good solution
| - in particular,  if similar installations didn't require this in the past.

b) What you do with is entirely your local issue, as is your current error of
being unable to replicate what you once had. Based on the limited info you
had, we cannot help you.

| Somehow I was hoping to find a way to see the content of the `config.log'
| for more details, but if it really gets written to disk it seems to
| disappear within milliseconds thereafter. I'll try the R-devel list to
| suggest an argument allowing to display or keep this file.

c) Untangle the steps that R CMD INSTALL does.  Unpack the tar.gz by hand,
run configure by hand. Nobody will delete the file under you.

Dirk

| Wolfgang
|
| 2012/4/18 Michael Rutter <mar36 at psu.edu>
|
| > On 04/18/2012 12:24 PM, Wolfgang Raffelsberger wrote:
| >
| >> Dear list,
| >>
| >> as I started installing R-2.15.0 on a Red Hat 4.5.1-4 as well a Ubuntu
| >> 10.04.3 systems.
| >> While the basic installation went fine (like the previous R-2.14.2), now
| >> I'm having trouble installing almost one third of the additional libraries
| >> I want (which installed flawlessly with R-2.14.2), among them RODBC for
| >> which I show the message below (obtained on Ubuntu) :
| >>
| >> surf_forInstallation_>  R  CMD INSTALL RODBC_1.3-5.tar.gz
| >> * installing to library '/linux/biolo/R_surf/R-2.15.0/**lib64/R/library'
| >> * installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
| >> ** package 'RODBC' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
| >> checking for gcc...
| >> gcc -std=gnu99
| >> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
| >> compiler cannot create executables
| >> See `config.log' for more details.
| >> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
| >> * removing '/linux/biolo/R_surf/R-2.15.0/**lib64/R/library/RODBC'
| >>

| >> In fact, I get identical messages on our Red Hat 4.5.1-4 and the Ubuntu
| >> 10.04.3 systems mentioned above.
| >> Obviously something with our C compiler(s) didn't work out.
| >> In order to learn more about the problem I tried to look at config.log
| >> mentioned in the installation-message above, however, I cannot find
| >> the file, neither in my current path nor in
| >>  /linux/biolo/R_surf/R-2.15.0/**lib64/R/library .
| >> Obviously the RODBC directory doesn't exist any more when the installation
| >> attempt ends.
| >>
| >> Any hints ?
| >> I'm new to the Debian-list, but at least I haven't seen similar (recent)
| >> posts on R-help or the bioconductor lists.
| >>

| > Wolfgang,
| >
| > For the Ubuntu box, I would start by using my R PPA found here:
| >
| > https://launchpad.net/~**marutter/+archive/rrutter<https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter>
| >
| > I would also suggest using apt and/or synaptic to install as many packages
| > as possible from the repositories (sudo apt-get install r-cran-rodbc, for
| > example).
| >
| > The error you received indicates to me you do not have any development
| > packages or a c++ complier installed.  Have you installed "r-base-dev"?
| >  That should install the needed compilers.
| >
| > Michael
| >
| > --
| > Dr. Michael A. Rutter
| > School of Science
| > Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
| > Station Road
| > Erie, PA 16563
| > http://math.bd.psu.edu/**faculty/rutter<http://math.bd.psu.edu/faculty/rutter>

| 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

R/Finance 2012 Conference on May 11 and 12, 2012 at UIC in Chicago, IL
See agenda, registration details and more at http://www.RinFinance.com