[R-sig-Debian] update.packages() as ordinary user, /usr/lib/R/site-library is not writable

Chris Evans chrishold at psyctc.org
Thu Sep 22 21:47:56 CEST 2011

Oh dear.  The saga continues.  See below.

jranke at uni-bremen.de sent the following  at 22/09/11 12:52:
> Zitat von Chris Evans <chrishold at psyctc.org>:
>
>> Huge thanks to Johannes (sorry, Johannes, I think I implied that Dirk
>> was doing all the hard work in rolling things in my earlier reply,
>> the "you" is plural!)
>
> Never mind - you are absolutely right that Dirk is doing the heavy
> lifting, i.e. packaging and I just recompile some of his packages for
> Debian stable.
>
>> What I've done:
>> A) removed r-cran-rgl and r-cran-xml using synaptic as root
>> B) re-entered new R session as user chris, confirmed that the
>> packages had gone using installed.packages() and grep()!
>> C) ran "adduser chris staff" as root
>> D) logged off gnome session (ah, that bit's a pain when making group
>> membership changes which won't otherwise propagate to current session!)
>> E) logged back in!
>> F) checked I was now member of staff: yes!
>> G) checked I can write to /usr/local/lib/R/site-library: yes!
>> H) ran R as user chris ... now it gets interesting and frustrating:
>>     no damn joy, update.packages and selecting only abind to update
>> without specifying instlib says it runs fine but next time I run
>> update.packages it still shows the old version and wants to do the
>> update again so I
> Where does abind live on your system? update.packages() always
> mentions where it finds its candidates.
>
>> I) (and this was a debugging mistake for which I apologise) did the
>> same but specifying instlib as /usr/local ... and it runs fine again
>> (this time I checked that it had updated in /usr/local/... and there
>> it was in solitary splendour as my first updated library/package
>> there) ... but  ...
>> J) that hasn't gained me anything (I suspect the previous update
>> without the "instlib=" may have been fine too) as update.packages
>> still wants to update it ...
>> K) so I get thoughtful: clearly update.packages is reading from
>> /usr/lib not /usr/local ...
>> L) so I check .libPaths():
>>> .libPaths()
>> [1] "/home/chris/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.13"
>
> So at some point in time you let update.packages() create a directory
> in your home directory that would have precedence over system wide
> installations.

Yes.  I think the first time I ran the update.packages() it asked me if
I'd like to create that directory and I said yes.

>> [2] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"
>> [3] "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
>> [4] "/usr/lib/R/library"
>> M) Hm.  Looks good to me but I see Dirk is telling me /usr/local/...
>> should be first so I go to /etc/R/Renviron and I find:
>> R_LIBS_SITE=${R_LIBS_SITE-'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library:/usr/lib/R/site-library:/usr/lib/R/library'}
>>
>> and nothing I can see in Renviron.site that would override that.
>>
>> I _THINK_ I see a logic:  installation is happening "first come,
>> first used" on the libPaths but update.packages() is reading from all
>> the library locations and the later are overriting the earlier ...
>> that would explain things but surely it would mean that no-one,
>> including Dirk, would be able to run update.packages() successfully
>> as a non-root user.
>
> Yes, you and I can run update.packages() successfully, but only on
> paths with write permissions. As it does not seem a good idea to give
> a normal user write permissions on /usr/lib/ anywhere, I would suggest
> doing (from within R)
>
> update.packages(.libPaths()[1])
> update.packages(.libPaths()[2])
>
> This has just worked nicely for me on my Debian stable laptop.

I think on my machine the equivalent is update.packages(.libPaths()[2])
and then [3].  I did run [1] and [2] and the first run prompted me for
the CRAN repository and then exited silently and instantly: I assume
there's no package in my /home/... directory that needs updating.  Then
I ran for .libPaths()[2] and it no longer needed to prompt for
repository and exited silently and instantly.  Then I ran for
.libPaths()[3] and it asked me about many libraries that could be
updated starting with abind telling me it was in /usr/lib/R/site-library
and at version 1.1.0 with 1.3.0 available via CRAN but when I asked it
to upgrade abind it failed complaining that it couldn't write to the
directory.  So what I did then was:

update.packages(.libPaths()[3],instlib="/usr/local/lib/R/site-lib")

That seemed to run fine, installed to /usr/local/... and I confess I've
now gone into /usr/lib/R/... and deleted the now outdated libraries
there and then used mv to move the remaining ones to /usr/local/...

All that begs the question how I got myself here.  I think the learning
point is that there may be a way to make the instructions in the deb
packages in stable (well, in the next stable I guess) spell out the
relationship between the deb repository in stable, the deb repository in
CRAN (with a link to the page in CRAN about the debs there) and the
non-deb libraries in CRAN.  You might spell out options which I have as:
1) you can stay with the debs in stable, and update within R as an
ordinary user, you won't get automatic R updates but you should get the
package updates that are possible for that version of R
2) you can go with the debs in CRAN which will usually give you the
latest version of R shortly after it is released.  In that  case [just
my take and I can see that I could be quite wrong] you are best off
doing  a complete remove of the version of R you installed from your
Debian stable mirror using synaptic (or your own preferred package
handler), _before_ adding the necessary line in /etc/apt/sources.list to
get your local CRAN deb repository, after which you can do a clean
install of R
3) you are probably wise to do adduser yourself staff to get write
access to /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/
4) you should then find that things update fine through R and
update.packages() running R as an ordinary user and you will be getting
the latest R very soon after each upgrade and the latest upgrades of the
packages you have installed.

It sounds to me as if there's another option which is use the debian
backports deb repository/mirror but I'm not sure I understand the
relationship between that option and the option of going to the CRAN debs.

Very best all & thanks again to you both Dirk & Johannes,

Chris

... rest of Johannes's reply and the thread follows for the record ...

> [...]
> help me in creating those backports (or use apt pinning e.g. to
> testing, but I think this would make things too complicated). For
> example, I only update R base packages on CRAN/Debian (like
> r-cran-foreign, r-cran-nlme etc.) when a new R version is released.
> And there are a lot of packages that Dirk meticulously updates in
> Debian unstable that I have never backported for Debian stable, like
> r-cran-xml and r-cran-rgl.
>
> Regards,
>
> Johannes
>
> P.S.: I also mainly use my own R distribution for Debian stable on
> servers, just recently started to use it on my laptop (going back from
> Ubuntu).
>

>> So now I'm baffled as to how to be friendly with R and linux/Debian
>> on this machine!
>>
>> Perhaps I should say that I would like to work by:
>> 1) having the cran deb line in /etc/apt/sources.list and doing basic
>> installation of R from there as my understanding is that that will
>> get me the latest R for Debian when you (plural) have rolled it and
>> put it on CRAN getting me round the downloading and replacing I used
>> to do on windoze and also making it pretty likely that you'll have
>> sorted out dependency problems etc.
>> 2) would like then to rely on update.packages() from within R
>> 3) but running as local user as I can see the logic of that
>>
>> #1 and #2 are what I've always done on my Debian web server (where I
>> was running some cgi-bin scripts invoking R) but I always did the
>> update.packages() as root.  I've now moved that server to a shell
>> account at mythic-beasts (great guys) so I'll have to do #3 for that
>> too in future and though I could update as root on this laptop I do
>> see the logic of not doing that and clearly you both and presumably
>> many others on this list do #1, #2 and #3 so why is it not working
>> for me?!
>>
>> Suggestions gratefully received!
>>
>> Very best & karma to all,
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Dirk Eddelbuettel sent the following  at 21/09/11 13:49:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> Thanks for patient follow-up even after I (as Johannes noted) evidently
>>> overlooked key parts of your first email.

>>> root
>>> after a
>>> for my
>>> newbie,
>>>
>>> Perfect.

>>> launched from
>>>
>>> I do that too, as well as calling the 'install.r' helper script from
>>> littler
>>> (in its examples/ diretory, if interested).
>>>
>>> This requires that you make /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/ writable
>>> for _you_
>>> as user chris, else you cannot.
>>>
>>> [ It also assumes that the Renviron setting mentioned last time is
>>> still
>>> valid, do this:
>>>
>>> edd at max:~$ R -q -e 'print(.libPaths())'
>>> [1] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library" "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
>>> R>