[R-sig-Debian] translation from windows to linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 11 01:51:28 CEST 2011

On 10 May 2011 at 23:41, Christoph Knapp wrote:
| Thanks the first question was answered by Mathieu. Let me rephrase the first question. If I have a R script written under windows I encounter sometimes the problem that function names are not the same as in linux. See  zip.unpack which works perfectly under windows but not under linux. Is there a better method to find functions named different in different OS than asking the mailing list?

There are 2000+ function in 'base R'. Most of them are portable. Many of us
who have been writing portable code know which ones to avoid.

In a first instance, your best best is almost always the builtin-help,
e.g. help(rnorm) will be the same on all system.

Some things are by their very nature more OS-dependent, but R does a pretty
good job of abstracting most of it away ....

As for zip.unpack, it would appear that R on Linux does not have it. I see
zip.file.extract so maybe you can use that.

Dirk

| Christoph

Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com