[R-sig-Debian] Help: how to install "rgdal package" on Ubuntu desktop?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 24 15:52:44 CEST 2011

On 23 June 2011 at 09:47, Rainer M Krug wrote:
| On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Lee Hachadoorian <
| Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com> wrote:
|
| > On 06/22/2011 08:27 PM, 张志坤 wrote:
| > > Dear groups:
| > > I have tried to install rgdal in my Ubuntu, but it is not as straight
| > > as installing "sp". It demand the pre-installed GDAL and proj.4.
| > > I searched the source code in http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ and
| > > http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadSource. but don't know how to
| > > compile them.
| >
| > Ethan,
| >
| > You need the development packages of GDAL and proj4. Probably easier to
| > install from repository than from source. Try:
| >
| > $ sudo apt-get install libgdal1-dev libproj-dev
| >

| I would actually *not recommend* to use sudo to run R - unless you need a
| systemwide installation. I usually use R without sudo, and the packages are
| installed in my home directory, which I prefer

I tend to recommend against that for the standard use case (ie apart from,
say, development packages), and have instrumented the R packages for Debian /
Ubuntu to use /usr/local/lib/R/site-library --- which is set set to be group
'staff' with group-write permissions.  If you add yourself to 'staff' (or
switch the directory to another group you like) you can write there.

Unix is after all meant to be multi-user.

Dirk

| Cheers,
|
| Rainer
|

| > $ sudo R
| > > install.packages("rgdal")
| >
| > Best,
| > --Lee
| >
| > --
| > Lee Hachadoorian
| > PhD Student, Geography
| > Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
| > CUNY Graduate Center

| --
| Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology,
| UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
|
| Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
| Stellenbosch University
| South Africa
|
| Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
| Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
| Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
|
| Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
|
| email:      Rainer at krugs.de
|
| Skype:      RMkrug
|
| 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com